More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year. In addition to this number are many more that come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.

The provinces regulate education and schools in Canada. For more detailed information on living and studying in a specific province or territory, contact the school where you wish to study.

Studying in another country can be an adventure and a challenge. Read about what to consider before applying for a Study Permit, how to apply, work opportunities for foreign students and find other important information.

All persons who want to study in Canada need to apply for a student authorization and obtain the written approval of a consulate officer. To apply for an authorization you must:

  • Have a valid passport
  • Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution
  • Have enough money to support yourself
  • Complete an application form and
  • Pay a fee

Who needs a study permit?
Not everyone needs a Study Permit to study in Canada. Find out if you need a Study Permit or a Temporary Resident permit.

What is a student authorization?
A student authorization is a form issued by an consulate officer. It allows you, after your admittance, to remain in Canada to take an academic, professional or vocational training course at an approved university, college or other institution.

Who needs a student authorization?
If you are not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a dependant of a diplomat accredited to Canada, you must obtain a student authorization.

Where do I apply?
You apply to the nearest Canadian consulate office. You must obtain permission to study in Canada before leaving for Canada. However, the following persons may apply from within Canada:

Dependents of athletes, media representatives, members of the Clergy, or military personnel on assignment in Canada
Dependents of officials of foreign governments working in Canada with a federal or provincial agency under an exchange agreement
Dependents of a person who has a valid student or employment authorization and
A person who is a holder of a Minister’s permit and his or her dependents
In addition, the following persons may apply at a Canadian port of entry
Citizens and permanent residents of the United States, St. Pierre and Miquelon, or Greenland
What is the cost of a application?
If a student and/or authorization is required, the cost is CAN$125

How long is the permission valid for?
Student permission and authorization are valid for the duration of the program of study

What are the basic requirements for student authorization?
You must satisfy the consulate officer that you meet the requirements of the Canadian High Commission and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay. You must also:

Satisfy a consulate officer that you will be able to return to your country or be admitted to another country after your studies
Have been unconditionally accepted by an approved educational institution
Have enough money during your stay in Canada to pay for

  •  Tuition fees
  •  Living expenses for yourself and accompanying dependents
  •  Return transportation for yourself and accompanying dependents

Be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate)
Not be a risk to the security of Canada
Produce any additional documents requested by the consulate officer to establish your admissibility
Complete a medical examination, if required and
Pay the fee
Application Process
This section explains how an application is made, how long it will usually take and how it will be processed by the consulate office.

When should I apply?
The time required to process an application to study in Canada may vary at different consulate offices. You should apply as early as possible, and allow at least six months to plan and prepare for your move. Note: Canadian universities suggest you apply for admission at least one year in advance of your planned arrival.

What documents are required?
You are required to provide the following documents for yourself and any accompanying dependants:

1. Proof of unconditional acceptance

For attendance at a university, college or technical institution, a letter from the educational institution to show: O The name of the institution
O Confirmation of your acceptance and/or registration as a student
O The course of study
O The duration of the academic program and
O The latest date you may register
For attendance at a primary or secondary school, a letter from the school board having jurisdiction for the school you are attending (or for private schools, a letter from the school itself), indicating: O The name of the school
O The level of study and
O The duration of the course
2. Proof of identity

A valid passport or travel document or identity document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it (citizens and permanent residents of the United States, St. Pierre and Miquelon, and Greenland do not require a passport but do require proof of status such as a national identity card or an alien registration card); and
Two recent passport size photos for each family member (the name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo).
3. Proof of financial support

Evidence that you can support yourself and accompanying dependants while you study in Canada. Such evidence may include: O proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada
O Your bank statements for the past four months; o a bank draft in convertible currency
O Proof of payment of tuition and residence fees
O For those with a scholarship or those with a Canadian funded educational program: proof of funding paid from
within Canada
If foreign exchange control measures exist in your country, you must provide proof that you will be permitted by the exchange control authorities of your country to export funds for all of your expenses; and
If additional documents are required, a consulate officer will inform you.
Note: Children under 16 years of age who are traveling alone must have information (name, address, phone number) about the person or school that will be responsible for them. If the child is the subject of a custody order, proof of custody and the other parent’s consent must also be provided. Minors traveling without their parents require a letter of permission from the non-accompanying parent(s).

Will I need to attend an interview?
After reviewing your application, a consulate officer will decide if an interview is necessary. If so, the cosulate officer will inform you of the time and place.

Will I or my accompanying dependants need a medical examination?
In some cases you will require a medical examination. A consulate officer will decide on this and send instructions if a medical are required. It may add over three months to the processing of your application.

Can I work in Canada?
You may be able to work while you are studying in Canada only in special situations. It can be difficult to find a job in Canada. You should come to Canada with enough money to live and pay your bills while you are studying.

Do not work without authorization, if u do, you may be asked to leave Canada

How do I obtain an extension of my student authorization?

Phone your nearest Canada consulate & vfs Centre in Canada at least two months before the expiry of your student authorization, to obtain an application in the mail.

Embassy contact information: Please contact the nearest Canadian embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Canada.